Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ending with a nooner in the peg

I wish I could say we went out with a bang. Speaking for myself, it was more of a whimper. I don't feel great about this last show. I felt like I was really affected by what I perceived to be audience stand-offishness. We came out before the show and sang My Vagina is Eight Miles Wide and I was highly aware of the people in the audience who seemed completely closed to us. Even though I could see my new friend Shy in the audience (there for the THIRD time!) I crumpled a little to see people with their arms crossed over their chests, and all those empty seats.

In the opening scene with Tonya where she plays the phone sex operator, I dropped a line. I've never dropped a line in this show. I just felt a little off. Like I kept trying to figure out how to make the unbelievers into believers. And I think my performance, and presence to the moment, suffered.

Take away lesson? THere are people in the audience who are there for you, who want your success (and there really were - I just looked passed them so I could focus on the jury). Do the show for them. Don't give up and give into your self-pity that people aren't liking the show, it's not for them, they are disgusted or disappointed or horrified. I am making this all up in my head and projecting it. There really are live people in the audience who are delighted to be there, who share our enthusiasm for sexual openness. When I give into fear, I do them a real disservice.

Standing in line to see another show, the volunteer usher asked me what show I was in, as I looked familiar. I mumbled something about how I'd probably flyered him at one point. He said, "No, I've seen you onstage" and I said, "Well, I'm doing the sex play." And he said, "OH! We loved your show. You shouldn't appologize, don't say "the sex play," say, "THE SEX PLAY." You should be proud." And that was yet another reminder that we do have audience out there who respond, and who are thrilled to have us here, and no, I'm not going to please everyone, but there are quite a few out there who have been quite pleased indeed.

3 comments:

  1. art is made by artists who have a message. who have something to say and the tools and skills to put it out there. art isn't made by worrying about the audience. once you put your message in front of them, you no longer have control over how they interpret it.

    it's nice to get kudos and applause and money.

    it's better to make art.

    i'm proud of all four of you. i'm proud of what you're doing and i'm proud to know all of you.

    (oh and tonya no jokes about making art. hehe not until you're home anyway. perhaps i'll have a welcome home cake made special. it will say TMP on top and 'DON'T TALK TO IT!!' lower down.)


    howard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry I did not get to another show , ran out of funds or I would of been in that saturday show without a doubt. That is how much I enjoyed it! This is what I sent to Winnipeg Free Press for you
    Posted by:iamerika

    July 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    4 stars are you Kidding me they deserve 10 stars the play is riveting. I enjoyed it so much I saw it twice and laughed even harder the second time around. It should be a short film, bound to win an award. My main complaint too short, way to short I wanted more! Eleanor O’Brien you and Tonya Jone Miller, Mary Rose and Adrienna Ogin need to make this play into a short film. You have the sound man, the stage, talent, I say go for it.

    Below is my opinion of the play. The first time I saw it.

    Inviting Desire!

    Wow I went to the second night showing! I was blown away, it was everything and more than I could ever expect from a show. The story telling exquisite and mind moving. The questions frank and to the point. I know because it was like they were reading my mind. hummm maybe I am a deviant lol . There was not a dry eye in the house every where I looked people were laughing some to the point of falling off their chairs. I was very impressed, and curious for more I wish it would of been 1 1/2 hours or even two. I have no doubt they would of been able to fill it will material of equal excellence.

    Hats off to the women of Inviting Desire! Excellent job, Looking forward to more of the same from you. Just wished it was longer. But then I am greedy for more good performances.

    lets not forget the other review from the fellow fringe goers
    Posted by:beatsdeadhorses

    July 21, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    Excellent, funny and mind provoking, come get a new fantasy or see if you share one told by 4 incredible actors who take us into the sexual minds of women. I raise my glass to them for being able to put forth a powerful performance which will open ones mind and body.

    Let us not forget that you got one of the very few 5 stars given
    Winnipeg free press review : This play is currently rated an average of 5 out of 5 (1 votes).
    the remark of someone reading this:July 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    I've never seen a board poster upset about a "low" 4-star review. I guess I'll have to check it out. =)

    this is from some one working at the ad dept of free press .. Now girls how kewl is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who took in that nooner (thrusting myself to the front of that audience, since I felt I should rise to the occasion), I can firmly say I was thoroughly pleased by all four women in the play, and Eleanor in particular, so I left the show filled to bursting with satisfaction, but still wanting more.

    I'm definitely glad I came. ;)

    ReplyDelete