Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Its not just about Birthin' a Baby, its about Raisin' a Child

We are getting geared up for another run here in P-Town. Yesterday, we had a short rehearsal, and went over the parts within the show that we would like to make stronger, more genuine, and more truthful.
Although last Saturday's reaction was surprisingly wonderful- standing ovation. Thank you Portland- we still feel it can be better, sharper, precise; "razor sharp".
I've never worked a show where the rehearsals continued once the show opened, so it's new for me, but really who am I kidding, it's all new to me. I've never joined an ensemble so late in the game. These ladies have been working together on this show for nearly a year and I just reached my month mark two days ago. My friend had said, it was like I just joined a band; the old guitarist quit and I'm the new one, only the last album with the previous band members was a hit album, so the stakes are high, and the expectations (My friend and I often do this band/theatre comparison).
I've been digging down into my old college theatre bag of educated acting tricks, none of which seem to be working, and I'm thinking about writing a few of my professors and asking, "hey, what happened to the joining an ensemble troupe that is already well into the process, and the vision, and then plans to go on tour in a matter of weeks, techniques 101 class?
Honestly, isn't this the nature of theatre? Always morphing and changing? Even those shows where it is set to be done exactly the same every night, it never truly is. You never know what an audience is going to do, and what if a bat flies onto the stage, huh? That wasn't in the script now was it? (I saw that happen in a show once) Every experience is different, and you need to drop your old coat at the door every time, or all your clothes in this show, and be ready for the new experience. It isn't easy, but there are few opportunities that are as rewarding.
So here I am, the day before a performance, going over my notes, and walking around with various postures and voices talking to myself, and looking generally crazy; that's what actors look like, because this naked baby may have been born she's still not growns ups yet, but what a beautiful bouncing baby she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment