Sunday, June 21, 2009

week #2

Thursday night was such a struggle- for all of us, I think. Certainly for me. Coming back to the show after 4 days off- having worked a full week, running around after an eight hour shift waitressing, trying to get programs printed and concessions together, being in the middle of a relationship crises in my personal life - and having to get on stage and convey cheer and desire when I was feeling anything but. Challenging.

But that is the nature of the beast. It ain't film. There are no second takes. So, we pulled together, we called on the assistance of our personal goddesses, we danced around and did an extra vigorous warm-up (remind me to describe our warm-up for you someday - it's unique). And the show was solid. A small and quiet crowd- we couldn't ride their energy or responses much at all. And I think we were feeling our way back into the show, not fully grounded or confident. But still - I didn't feel despondant. I wasn't worried that the show was fatally flawed or lacking. Something felt off- but not permanently. The open-mic was fascinating - a beautiful piece by a couple started it off. He read a story describing his role as a sub, while she flogged him wielding duel floggers, highly choreographed and perfectly timed.

Friday was totally different - many friends and family in the house. My best friends came down from Seattle, Mary had an entourage, and as I have come to really appreciate, the kink community showed up in their finest. The show was lifted by the throb of the crowd - and we returned the serve. The open-mic was again unusual - only three pieces, but gems every one. An impromtu monologue about finding his superpower was created on the spot by L-----, multi-orgasmic man. K---, dressed in her silver evening gown and looking fabulous worked up her courage and pushed past larygitis to perform a piece from an Alester Crowley play. A luscious afternoon H---- recalled from his youth, the 60's were in full swing and the office assistant had a little too much wine. Delicious, every one.

Saturday we fit into our skin. The show felt like it fit - less anxiety I think, coupled with a crowd that wanted to laugh (didn't hurt that I plied them with free champagne before the show - a tribute to my mother's birthday). If I had one observation - it was that we could have picked up the pace. Felt like we were enjoying the moment perhaps a little too long . Hard to say. I haven't gotten a run time from my stage manager once. She told me she doesn't have a stopwatch. So just going on feeling.

But it was once again the open-mic that felt really special. I announced that it was my mother's birthday at the end of the show (along with Jesse and Deb) and the audience sang them happy birthday. I let everyone know that tonight was the first time my mother was seeing the show and that my dad would be doing a piece in honor of her for the open mic. Then we went out into the lobby for cake and more champagne.

The open mic started with me reading this poem called Gate 22 for my folks. It's about an older couple reuniting at an airport and they share this kiss that goes on and on, and how all the spectators wish they were her, being so passionately kissed by him. Then my dad reading a piece by Marge Darcy (I think) that was called One plus One is One or something like that. Really sweet and kind of perfect. A couple performed a brief comic piece about bondage and safewords (I remain puzzled by pickle I have to admit).

Eric - my dear love and life partner, also performed last night. He has been writing this piece all week, which is comepletely unlike him. He writes rarely - it's been so precious to see him hunched over his notebook, thinking. And his piece was beautifully crafted - the story of auditioning a sub, an inspection of the goods, so to speak. I play a role in the fantasy, which is lovely ( I hate feeling left out!)

And then the evening ended with an incredible solo from E----. She played a scorching piece on the violin - just broke out the passionate and had my toes curling the entire time. Exquisite, I mean, she is truly a mistress of her instrument, such a sublime way to end the evening (except for our audience karaoke version of Storm Large's "My Vagina is 8 Miles Wide- which is the evening capper).

I am feeling super excited about the show actually. I hope we sell well next weekend - our last before heading off to Canda. I have Taiga, the sound gal, rebuilding some sound cues. I feel like we're learning how to sculpt the show to highlite the strengths.

Got to figure out how to get people in to the theatre this last weekend. What will be the most effective use of my time. Flyering at psu? hanging posters along the hawethorne/belmont coridor? Facebooking my community ad naseum? I'm totally open to some outside the box thoughts if you've got 'em. (cuz the vagina don't do P/R all that well).

No comments:

Post a Comment