Friday, June 5, 2009

With one week to go....

I am nearly falling asleep at the laptop I'm so damn tired, but man I feel proud of the work we've done. I am so grateful to have a new director, and not be the outside eye. i really love being in the piece, and trusting someone else to see the loose ends.

I fear the show won't satisfy those who've already seen it - the loss of certain pieces, and the different framing device we use for the touring version. but as Mary Rose said to me tonight, we HAD to cut it, and it wouldn't have worked to just cut pieces from the original and try to keep the rest the same. We had to try something new. I have to remind myself that I was anxious about audience response the same way last time - I had no idea if people would enjoy the show, if they'd get into it, or walk out. I have the same fears this time - but compounding it is the fear that people who loved the show will feel disappointed this time around, having expectations coming into it. I hope not. I have always admired how companies like Sojourn try out pieces over and over, changing and cutting and reworking and rewriting. When I saw Throwing Bones the first time it was nothing like the "final product." That gives me courage. I want to create the kind of theatre that is fluid and can adapt to new circumstances and surroundings (not to mention, new company members). I want this show to be constantly evolving to reflect new pieces and perspectives. I want to create Inviting Desire in many different communities - kind of like The Vagina Monologues - but rather that have a set script, each cast can create pieces of their own, or use the ones we've written. I don't know how it's going to look, but that's part of my dream for the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment